Sunday, April 19, 2020

a good day to stay at home

Today is National Garlic Day.  I'm sure that's a fine day; I like garlic cooked into several of my favorite foods, like spaghetti. and, of course, garlic toast.  But my father would not have approved.  He really hated garlic.  I had to be careful, when I was cooking any large family meal, to avoid any use of garlic.  He could sniff out garlic a mile away.  I finally got him to explain why he disliked garlic so much.  It seems that, when he was a child (he was born in 1916) if he got a cough his mother would put a poltice on his chest made of garlic and honey wrapped in a hot cloth.  Evidently it did a great job of opening his sinuses and calming his cough but left him with a life long loathing of garlic.   I hope my children appreciate that I always used Vicks on them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment