Thursday, April 30, 2020

an unexpected outing

For the last several weeks I have been experiencing occasional spells of very rapid heartbeats.  After a little episode a couple of days ago when I felt like I was going to pass out, I was advised by a nurse at my doctor's office to go to the ER to get my heart checked out.  After a couple of days of telling myself that "It's really not that bad." I decided to get checked out today.  My brother, who had heart problems, used to tell me that if you go into an ER and tell them it's a heart problem they get you right in, and boy was he right.  I went to the ER at Parkview Randallia because it's close to where I live and I was most impressed.  There was no one else waiting, they brought out a wheel chair and put me in a little exam room almost before I had my insurance card back in my purse.  Luckily I was wearing one of my sister-in-laws wonderful new masks so I felt well protected.  Everyone else was wearing a mask so I fit right in.  They took my vitals and told me that my blood pressure was 188 over 101 and my heart rate was 166.  They got really serious at that point and I realized that I was really glad I had come in. Lots of tests, medication and a diagnosis and I was free to go.  Turns out I have an irregular heart beat which is what I told them coming in.  I now have a prescription and an appointment next week with a cardiologist so all is well.  After I left the hospital I went to Walgreens to get my prescription filled.  The prescription form was stapled to my discharge papers so I dropped off the prescription at the drive thru, then decided to read my discharge papers as I waited.  That's when I discovered that i had the wrong papers.  They were for a man named Bob who had a leg and knee problem.  So back to the ER to fix the problem.  Turned out my prescription had been attached to his paperwork.  Everything got straightened out, I got my paperwork and my prescription and headed home.  What I found amusing was that, during the three hours that I was in a bed, pretty well tied down with leads, pressure cuff and tubes, not able to go anywhere, I was asked at least 15 times what my name and birthdate were.  But when I was told I could go, the discharge papers, in a bright yellow envelope, were tossed on my bed and I was told I was free to go.  It might have been good if they had checked my name against the paperwork one more time.  I'm pretty sure I would have caught the error if they had called me Bob.

No comments:

Post a Comment